Sunday, July 20, 2008

Update from Momentum

Ladies....I have not quit running (not just yet).....although I was ready to last weekend after my very frustrating 9 mile run....I cried and was so disappointed..then with some encouragement from my hubby and OPOCCTGP I kept at it. I know I have been bad at posting...for some reason it is difficult for me. Hubby has been travelling to DC every week and comes home on weekends. My parents are coming to visit in two weeks...so a lot going on

Anyway....hubby and I ran in Washington DC yesterday (july 19th)...8 miles. It was so hot....but it was great running in the National mall area and around all the museums and government offices. I was not paying too much attention to my pace..I just kept running (with some very brief walking breaks). I think I stayed at 12 min/mile.

In the past few "long" runs....I had noticed that water and Gatorade was not cutting it for me. I would start feeling faint after 4-5 miles. One friend suggested GU gels. I am not big on sports supplements and stuff but I decided to give it a try. So had one after mile 5 and I felt a noticeable difference.

Anyway....that's what's been happening with me.

3 comments:

NoseInBookClub said...

Momentum,
That's the spirit. What matters is that you have not given up and are back on the blog and you ran 8 miles on the 19th!! Great job! Start blogging again and in no time it will become a habit. Welcome Back!

LoveMyTravel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LoveMyTravel said...

Hey Momentum,

Agree with BP!Great job!!!

Keep up with the spirit!!! Keep your pace in check- in my 1st half marathon, that definitely helped me. I paced myself, if you start too fast early on, it can be tiring, and not too slow too. So you have to find the right pace..you are running the september half right? still some time..so keep it going:)!

how was your last weekend's run.
One thing I wanted to bring to your notice was that walking breaks during long runs is recommended. It helps to revive the stamina..here's what Hal Higdon writes-

"Walking Breaks: That includes walking breaks. Walking is a perfectly acceptable strategy in trying to finish a marathon. It works during training runs too. While some coaches recommend walking 1 minute out of every 10, or walking 1 minute every mile, in the CARA Marathon Training Class, we teach runners to walk when they come to an aid station. This serves a double function: 1) you can drink more easily while walking as opposed to running, and 2) since many other runners slow or walk through aid stations, you'll be less likely to block those behind. It's a good idea to follow this strategy in training as well. Our class that trains on the lakefront finds water fountains (also known as "bubblers") every mile, or more often. We teach them to stop frequently to drink. Our classes that train elsewhere in the suburbs don't always have easy access to fluids, but we teach them to wear a water belt and also stop frequently to drink. You will lose less time walking than you think. Walking gives your body a chance to rest, and you'll be able to continue running more comfortably. It's best to walk when you want to, not when your (fatigued) body forces you too."

Let me know if this helps.

Also if you google- walking breaks during running, there is somemore good information in it.

Keep up with the great efforts!!